Monday, September 14, 2015

Vcenter Server Appliance 6.0 - Running out of log space

So I was looking through my VCenter Server and found an entry that shows I was running out of log space.  Hmmm, this may be why I was getting the syslog alerts that VMware support was absolutely no help with.  I started searching around for ways to increase the space for the logs, but with 11 .vmdk's, which one was for the logs??  Fortunately I found the blog Virtually Ghetto by William Lam.  I have stumbled across that blog before but forgot about it, like I do most things in my advancing years! He tells what each vmdk is here.

Copied from VirtuallyGhetto.com













Next problem, although he shows what each vmdk is for, I don't know the command line very well for vcsa.  Fortunately, he assists with the actual mechanics of increasing the drive size with a link in the article here.  It is easy enough that even I can do it!  Using Putty to SSH in to vcsa, get to the BASH shell.  At the command prompt "shell.set --enabled True" and then "shell", Then, run df -h to see the current size of the log file vmdk.  Go in to the vSphere web client and increase the size of Hard Disk 5.  I bumped it up to 15GB.  Then back in Putty, "vpxd_servicecfg storage lvm autogrow". Finally, "df -h" again to show that the vmdk has increased.

This is a copy of my successful attempt at increasing the log size on my vcsa:




No comments:

Post a Comment