Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Deduplication on Server 2012R2

I've been using deduplication on my file server for some time now.  Every once in a while I will get corrupt files.  I can restore them from backup, but then sometimes the same files get corrupt again, other times it is different files.  I don't have a lot of time to play with this so I want to turn off deduplication.  After researching this, I found that just turning off deduplication doesn't "un-dedup" the volume.  I found a few different sites that tell how to un-dedup the files but this is the process that worked for me.

1.  Do NOT disable deduplication.  However, to ensure your volume doesn't get optimized while you are trying to Un-Dedup it, exclude it from the optimization process.

     A.  Open Server Manager and go to Volumes and select your volume

     B.  Right click your volume and choose Data Deduplication.

     C.  Exclude the whole volume.  Click add, select the server name on the left and the volume name on the right.  Click Select Folder.

     D.  Click Set Deduplication Schedule and uncheck everything.  Again, we don't want an optimization to run while you are un-deduping.

2.  Open Powershell as an administrator

3.  Run Garbage Collection on the volume:  Start-DedupJob -Volume "X:" -Type GarbageCollection

4.  When Garbage Collection is done, Un-Dedup the volume:  Start-DedupJob -Volume "X:" -Type Unoptimization  This will, most likely, run for a LONG time - as in many, many hours.  Run Get-DedupJob in Powershell to monitor the status.

5.  When it is finally done, repeat on all volumes you want to un-dedup.  It will also no longer show any info in the deduplication status in the Server Manager.  G: is the volume I "un-deduped".  You may need to close Server Manager and get back in to see the change.  A refresh didn't show it for me.



6.  When you are finally done (when Server Manager shows no deduplication infor for any of your volumes, you can uninstall the deduplication role from the server.

No comments:

Post a Comment