Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Standardized Signatures in Outlook 2013/2016 Part 2

So in Part 1 we got a test standardized signature ready to go in Exchange 2013.  Now we have to enforce our signature and eliminate all signatures the users have made in Outlook.

1.  Ensure you have the ADMX's installed for your version of MS Office.  You can get the ADMX for Office 2013 here and for Office 2016 here.   I'm going to use Office 2016 in my example.

2.  Block access to create/edit/delete signatures in Outlook.  In your group policy go to User Configuration, Policies, Administrative Templates, Microsoft Outlook 2016, Outlook Options, Mail Format.  In there there is a setting Do not allow signatures for e-mail messages.  Enable it.













2.  Get rid of the Signature button in Outlook.  You need the command bar ID to gray out the Signature button.  These are listed on the Microsoft web site as Office Fluent User Interface Control Identifiers.  I could not find one for Office 2016 but I did find the one for Office 2013 here.  This will get you a zip file with a bunch of Excel spreadsheets in it.  I found the codes I needed in outlookexplorercontrols.xlsx.  I found 3 codes related to signatures; 5608, 22965 and 3766.  I put all three in my test group policy.  You need to enter it at User, Policies, Administrative Templates, Microsoft Outlook 2016, Disable Items in User Interface, Custom, Disable command bar buttons and menu items.  Enable the policy and click Show to get to be able to enter those three codes.






















Once your updated policy has gotten to your users, the signature button will now be grayed out so that users can't manually add the signature.  You may need the users to log out/log in for the policy to take effect.


No comments:

Post a Comment